7. Sazai hall-Temple of Five Hundred Rakan
In the ukiyo-e art, one of the series of “Thirty-Six Views of Mount Fuji“, Katsushika Hokusai (1760-1849) drew the scene of distant Mt. Fuji and the people who see the landscape from the temple.
Temple of Five Hundred Rakan was established at the Kameido village(today’s Oojima-cho, Koto-ku, Tokyo Prefecture) in 1695. Sazai means a turban shell because the corridor of the hall took the spiral-shape.
When people finished climbing up the corridor, they could see the panorama of the lazy Sumida River and beautiful Mt.Fuji.
Those who watch the mountain are the geisha, samurai, child and merchants.
Under Mannen Bridge at Fukagawa from "Thirty-Six Views of Mount Fuji"
6.Under Mannen Bridge at Fukagawa 6. Under Mannen Bridge at Fukagawa Mannen Bridge was at the joint point of the two river traffics, Onagi River and Sumida River. Various people cross the bridge under the clear sky. Turning our eyes for the river, some boats come and go on the water. And a man crouching down on the rock drops his line. Katsushika Hokusai(1760-1849) designed the ukiyo-e's composition with the perspective buildings and geometric bridge. It makes the v...
Cushion Pine at Aoyama from "Thirty-Six Views of Mount Fuji"
8.Cushion Pine at Aoyama 8. Cushion Pine at Aoyama The Cushion Pine were the famous trees at the precinct of Ryuganji in Harajuku village, which had the 5.6 meters wide. Katsushika Hokusai(1760-1849) depicted the hill of pine trees as a semicircle shape and Mt. Fuji as a triangle. Those are in an indistinct contrast each other. At the lower right, the men hold the party with the great view of Mt. Fuji and the pine trees, and a father leads the child by the washcloth. And...